The Hackathon by the NQCC in collaboration with QuantX is a technical hackathon aimed at addressing the whole quantum computing value chain to demonstrate its ability to tackle real-world problems in a variety of sectors. The main objectives of the hackathon are:
- Raising awareness of quantum computing and providing exposure to quantum computing use-cases to Masters and graduate students (Ph.D. and Postdoc level).
- Providing a ground for exploration of quantum solutions for industry use-cases, spanning the application domains of optimisation, simulation, and machine learning.
- Enhancing the visibility of quantum computing providers, and connecting them to end-users to identify opportunities and current limitations.
- Aligning expectations of the current state-of-the-art technology and its future progress.
- Convening talented students, quantum computing providers, and quantum computing end-users to come together, to create a vibrant quantum computing community.
The hackathon is part of the NQCC’s Quantum Readiness programme, aimed at exploration and awareness-raising for the current capabilities and limitations of quantum computing technology, as well as at nurturing the talent pipeline and convening stakeholders.
The hackathon is targeted at Masters students through to Postdocs interested in the field of quantum computing. It will take place on the 28th and 29th of July in person at the Royal Holloway University of London (RHUL). Several teams will be arranged (with 5 hackers per team), balancing skills and quantum expertise ahead of time. Each team will tackle one use case using one quantum computing provider. Information on the use-cases and training on accessing quantum computers will be provided to the teams ahead of time through a private GitHub repository and a private Slack channel. During the hackathon, mentors from the industry and the quantum providers will support the teams. The event will close with a jury scoring the proposed solutions and announcing the winning team.
Registration of interest for this event is now closed.